Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Senseo Stats

Yeah.. I've been bored.

I took apart the Senseo to see what was going on under all the plastic.

I was quite surprised with what I found.

I found a 1450W boiler (tiny, though it may be.. It looks to be around 4 oz. or so)

I found an Ulka ER EP8R pump. Interesting.

The P in the EP8R stands for Plastic. Meaning, the water outlet is plastic, and thus, not all too durable for the long run.

This pump is also only capable of a maximum of 2.2 bar of pressure. Sad, isn't it? It's still a pressure brewer, and from what I can tell, that's a bit more pressure than a Moka pot.

Max flow is 650CC/Min.

Noise is 58db. (not that it much matters)

Here's the problem.

The solution of pre-heating the water is a BAD idea if the intention is to keep the machine alive for any length of time. The max temperature for the pump is 25C, or 77F. That's roughly room temerature. So much for that plan.

Another idea is to set up a pre-heating system. Maybe a copper tubing wrapped around the boiler taking water from behind the pump, and feeding it to the inlet on the boiler. This MIGHT help solve the problem, but it won't fix it entirely, and this would take more heat-up time than simply pre-heating the water.

What I'm not sure of is if the boiler's heating element remains active during the brewing cycle.

Still lots more tinkering to do with this thing before I'm satisfied.

3 comments:

yellowbeard said...

I have been wanting to take my Senseo apart also but for different reasons.... I purchased one and now have won a free Senseo.
I am thinking of taking them apart and changing the top so that I have a Senseo coffee maker that is totally different than any others...

Yes, I am a bit weird but hey, I never claimed to be normal.
I see you have taken yours apart and since I don't any screws or anything, can you possibly post the instructions as to how you got yours apart. Thanks.......

Jason Haeger said...

Yeah, Take off the water resevoir tank.

You'll see a few slits Two on either side of the back panel. Stick a flat-head screwdriver in there, and push the tip of it outwards. That will release the tab holding it in place.

Then use the same screwdriver to pry it up on the side, and just work your way around the 4 tabs.

It's not difficult, it's just not easy to tell what's going on.

yellowbeard said...

Thanks, at least now I have an idea of what to do ... and hopefully won't wind up with a pile of plastic and no coffee maker LOL......